Thursday, December 02, 2004

Geeky Thursday

Today, I'm sporting a Think Geek T-shirt with the phrase /(bb|[^b]{2})/ *. I picked this garment, because yesterday, a colleague called me Geek.

I'm still not sure whether I should be pleased or offended. Traditionally and as I understood, a geek is person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy, who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept. My colleague pointed out that this has shifted and a geek is now a person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. I'm still not totally convinced and sure how to put it. But maybe, buying stuff from Think Geek makes denial pointless anyway.

* hint: coded in Perl, written by a limey during the English Renaissance.

1 comment:

Ms Mac said...

Think Geek Chic baby!
Geek Chic rocks!