Saturday, March 26, 2005

Alemannic By Chance

Without knowing that I'll rediscover my Alemannic identity, I baked something truly Alemannic for lunch: Dünnle.

There are a lot of different names for the same dish (Wähe, Waie, Waije, Dünne, Fladen or Kuchen). If it can be compared with a dish from another couture, it would be quiche). There are salty or sweet variants. I made a sweet dünnle.

At first, one needs a dough:
* 400 g flower
* 125 g butter
* 125 g soft curd cheese
* salt
* some white wine or water
mix well, cover with a towel and put at a cool place for an hour.

I did it the easy way and bought the dough ready made in the shop.

Then one has to butter a baking tray, roll out the dough and put it onto the tray. With a fork, one has to make some small holes in the dough. Depending on the juiciness of the filling one should to scatter grounded hazelnuts onto the dough.

This time I uses fresh Rhubarb for the filling (800 g, chopped to small pieces). Actually, the rhubarb season is April to June. This one came from Holland, probably grown in a green house with huge amounts of natural gas from Russia. I compensated this ecological nightmare by using KAG eggs (from extremely happy chicken) for the cream to be added (2 eggs, 1/4 l of cream, 2 pinches of sugar, vanilla sugar & cinnamon). Baking takes 30 minutes at 250 °C in the preheated oven.

I prefer tea to accompany my slice of dünnle.

1 comment:

Ms Mac said...

Tops! I've been hoping to try an apple variety one day. Now I shall use your recipe!

You can get my tips on lamb steaks here!