Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I'm Intolerant

Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford farted while swearing loyalty to Queen Elizabeth I, and consequently went into self-imposed exile for seven years. After his return, the Queen was reported to have reassured de Vere: "My Lord, I had quite forgotten the fart."

For good reasons, in many cultures, excessive human flatulence is regarded as embarrassing and impolite, even to the point of being a taboo subject. I consider smoking far worse than farting. Smokers do not only stink to high heaven they also
  • make my eyes itch
  • make my clothes stink
  • make my skin stink
  • are far from kissable (excpect if one likes liking ashtrays).
Why is smoking no embarrassment and not considered impolite? Which smoker would have the decency to go into exile for smoking in the presence of a queen?

1 comment:

Ms Mac said...

Hear hear!

Well said! I think because you have to pay to smoke it's less embarrassing that trumping. But I must say, Switzerland is way more tolerant of smoking and smokers than in other European and Antipodean countries!