Monday, May 02, 2005

Vanquished Again

One of the things I force myself every spring is to vanquish my inner swine and to go by bike for the Lägern.

The Lägern is a small ridge close to Zürich. It's summit is 856 m asl. That is an elevation of 424 m from where I live. Riding up there is hard for the first 4 to 5 times every spring. After that, my body is used to this kind of exercise and it's poor fun again.

If I'm in good shape, it takes me exactly 1 hour to get there. Today, I had 1 hour 1 minute. That is 1.67% above my own benchmark. I never had such a good start, especially considering that my swim performance has been significantly below my expectations lately and that I'm 9% above my I were take my top off on a dancefloor weight. I reckon that good start is because:
  • The conditions were perfect (slightly warm, overcast, light breeze, last rain a couple of days ago)
  • Crawl is the better preparation for cycling than breaststroke
  • I had an excellent and strengthening dinner yesterday.

1 comment:

Ms Mac said...

mr. mac and I went for a bike ride too! I hope it will only take 4 or 5 times before I can get to the top of Hoehenstrasse! I think I left my legs up there somewhere. I certainly can't feel them now!