Friday, January 06, 2006

At The Edge Again

I used to be an innovator or at least an early adopter, who tried to avoid to belong to the majority or even being a laggard. Whatever, I'm becoming older and maybe because of that loosing the grip of the edge of things.

That's what I thought until I've read an article by the BCC, which reminded me that I'm obviously unconsciously ahead of a trend: Mexican Wine.

Mexico is neither really a wine country nor a coffee country. Although both are part of Mexico's cornucopia. It's easier to get a beer or a tequila. If coffee is served, it's most likely made out of Nescafe. If you order wine in a restaurant you have to choose the vino tinto - that is, the only red wine available in the house. After the order, the staff usually spends the next fifteen minutes searching for the bottle opener and cleaning the dusty wine glasses. However, Mexican's wine makers are being kissed awake by the prince and things are emerging rapidly.

If you want to be among the innovators then you should look out for the wines of the Bodega LA CETTO or the Bodega de Monte Xanic. Both are highly recommended by my beloved Gatín, who is the expert in the family.

Read BBC article in English or Español.

3 comments:

Ms Mac said...

I look forward to trying some Mexican wine one day. It may agree with me more than Tequila.

Anonymous said...

I grow up drinking lemonades and fruit juices. Once I saw my mother buying a bottle of a very simple wine named "Padre Quino" but it was to cook a delicious dish with beef filet and for her it was like spending a fortune because of the wine. And she used to say: "me salió mas caro el caldo que las albondigas" (meaning with this that the wine was more expesive than the filet steaks). Any way I guess that I inherited my wine passion from my french and spaniard ancestors.

Coffee and wine are luxus products for most of the mexicans. Gatín

Unknown said...

Very Interesting topic. I'd go for the red wine..