Monday, May 01, 2006

Bloody Cold

It was bloody cold the last week and especially the last weekend. Luckily, temperatures are rising now. in 12 days, our open air pool will open (usually with a water temperature of 17°C/63°F) Yeah! However, we are far from safe and sound. There are still two cold periods, which may come eventually:

Icy Saints (May 12-15)
In the middle of May, temperatures drop quite often significantly, at night even below 0°C/32°F. The reason is a high pressure zone over Schottland. The period is named after the feast days of the Saints Pancras, Servatius, Bonifatius and the Cold Sophie. The opening of the pool falls on Servatius

Seep Cold (June 10-20)
It does not go down to freezing temperatures, but 5-10°C in June is rather cold too. The name is derived from the shearing of the sheep, which happens in middle of Europe in the middle of June as well.

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

I'm looking forward to getting back in the open air pool too!

I love that fact that it's Scotland's fault that Switzerland is cold in May. Hopefully we won't get Scotland's cold and miserable rain as well.

Mike said...

I'd love to live in Switzerland. I enjoy the cold weather.

Ryan said...

i would love the cold if mikey is with me 2 keep me warm.

Unknown said...

I love outdoor pools! We don't have any right here but we do have the freezing ocean, just not the same to me though. I hate salt water!

The weather here has been colder too, so I'm guessing it's a world trend in funny weather patterns. IT's supposed to warm up this week here... We'll see.