Friday, May 26, 2006

Good Place for Birth and Wine

Friends of mine will get married in a couple of weeks. One of the most delicate matters of this act, is to choose the wine for the reception. As I'm aware, the two biggest passions of Toño (he is very passionate) are wine and me. Thus they had asked Toño to consult them in this area. Taking all parameters into account, Toño short-listed two wines, of which they chose the Loriñon Crianza from the Rioja region in Spain. The other one had the prettier label, nevertheless, it's the content that should count. I fully accept their decision.

Our lovebirds show an odd behaviour (at least still for Switzerland) by espousing in the woods. Fair enough, but this is not the best place to store wine. One just can't control the temperature. Lucky as we always are, my family lives nearby:



Our residence was built in 1613 to collect the tithe for the church. If I recall right, my family lives in this village since 1604. But it was only in 1848,when my great-grandfather bought this house, after he fought in the Sonderbund war (not that events are anyhow connected). I was conceived, born and raised in this place. Legend says, the midwife was holding me out of the bottom left window to tell the blacksmith the news about my birth (when the blacksmith knew, everyone would know).

As being a former tax collecting place, which were often paid in kind, the place has plenty of store room. Of which, the cellar is the most impressing, with its vaults stretching over meter thick walls. And, it's just perfect to store wine. The only problem is to keep my father and brothers's hands off it.

1 comment:

Toño said...

My passions in order of importance are YOU and only then wine, and this due to the fact that wine leads me back to you...

I am impressed about the construction's year of your residence. If I think that the discovery of the Americas was only a bit more than 100 years before (12.10.1492). You really have deep, deep roots in Thurgau, which are one of the aspects that most fascinates me from you.