Sunday, August 06, 2006

Movie Mania - 1985

I love movies. The really great thing about Zürich is that movies are shown in their original version. We are not tortured by dubbing. I'm crap at learning languages in classes. Thankfully to Zürich's theatre owners, I at least made some progress with the English language.

Some days ago, fabulous Rob7534 reminded me that I haven't been in a cinema for ages. Hence, it's more than appropriate to wallow myself in reminiscences of better times. Here is the first of my more intense cinematic years (notably a year when I had to support myself from about $750 per month):
  1. Akropolis Now (still the best Swiss road movie)
  2. Dune (I had a yawn race with the worms in the movie)
  3. Apocalypse Now
  4. Ghostbusters (this was Swiss premier show at midnight with an audience dressed as ghosts)
  5. Tightrope (now memories whatsoever)
  6. Purple Rain (although I adore Prince, I still don't like the title song)
  7. The Noah's Ark Principle (the corner stone of Roland Emmerich's career)
  8. Amadeus
  9. The Cotton Club
  10. The Killing Fields
  11. 2010
  12. Rope (the murder with no cut, i.e. this movie has no cuts and the guest was dead on time)
  13. The Company of Wolves
  14. Ordeal by Innocence
  15. Er Moretto (probably my first gay flick - and it's a tough and disturbing one)
  16. City Heat
  17. Beverly Hills Cop (I saw (partially) a rerun on HBO lately. Did we really like this movie back then?)
  18. Ghostbusters (this time with less ghosts in the audience)
  19. Je vous salue, Marie (my first by Jean-Luc Godard)
  20. A passage to India (as uneventful as the book)
  21. A Soldier's Story
  22. Falling in Love
  23. Der Bulle & das Mädchen (Prochnow at his best)
  24. Mass Appeal
  25. Brazil (at least for me the greatest of all films)
  26. Brazil
  27. Witness
  28. Birdy (I just don't like Nicolas Cage. He is talented but there is nothing I fancy with him)
  29. The Little Drummer Girl
  30. Best Defense (indefensible bad)
  31. Into the Night (why does John Landis work for TV only nowadays?)
  32. C'era una volta il West
  33. 48 Hrs.
  34. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (for me it's not blasphemy but an homage)
  35. Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl (4 minute extract)
  36. Don Camillo (embarrassing, but it's on the list)
  37. The Blues Brother (the yearly treat, at least)
  38. Subway (I sooo fancied Eric Serra, the bassist)
  39. Otto - Der Film
  40. A View to a Kill
  41. King David
  42. Dance with a Stranger
  43. The Blues Brother
  44. Stop Making Sense (it had been running for over two years in Zürich, there is no record I listened to more in my life)
  45. Desperately Seeking Susan (Yes, the Madonna thingy)
  46. Oberst Redl
  47. Midnight Express (on my sister's recommendation, probably to keep me from drug smuggling or so)
  48. The Falcon and the Snowman
  49. Höhenfeuer (just rated the best Swiss movie ever, despite the intense sisterly love)
  50. Prizzi's Honor
  51. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
  52. The Purple Rose of Cairo
  53. Ran (my first Kurosawa)
  54. Der Rekord
  55. Back to the Future (still my favourite product placement: Marty McFly: "Calvin? Wh... Why do you keep calling me Calvin?" Lorraine Baines: "Well, that is your name, isn't it? Calvin Klein? It's written all over your underwear.")
  56. Year of the Dragon
  57. The Meaning of Life (And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint)
  58. The Emerald Forest
  59. Rendez-vous
  60. The Black Cauldron
  61. Cocoon.
Surprisingly, there are only about three movies I don't remember anymore.

And here as a bonus, some stills from our own flick "Inspector McTup", which we released in 1984:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to love Beverly hills cops. In fact, I new every word to the movie at some point. LOL

Thanks for the insight on that note. Geeze you have so many movies!!!!

Toño said...

Wow, I have hardly seen a quarter of all those movies!

I absolutely would like to see Brazil with you, is is possible!

You look great in your own film:)

Rob7534 said...

Except for the Swiss films, I have seen them all, and I can confirm, some of those are excellent films!

I Adore "The Company Of Wolves" with Angela Landsbury as the Grandmother. I learned that all guys with a Unibrow are actually Werewolfs from that film! =)

Thanks for calling me fabulous, but I am no where near as fab as you are! I think I would have liked your film, I love the amature stuff! And who is that sexy guy in the mohawk!?

Mr. Urs said...

Rob, that bloke in the Mohawk is Daniel Brogle and he played a pimp in the film. We kicked him out of our team three years later for a misdemeanor his mother comitted.

Its a bit of a long story: We packed a house Christo-style as a huge parcel. All our friends made oversized stamps to send it off. After the event, we made a one-copy book out of all these stamps and send it on a tour to all "artists". The third station was Dani. He kept it under his bed. He was a bit messy. One day, his mother decided that it was enough and she cleaned his room. In the course her exploit, the book got trashed. If there is one place, which is prohibited for mothers of male adolescents, its under their bed. Because, Dani did not teach his mother this essential lesson, he got formally expelled.