Monday, January 29, 2007

Culinary Ditch

Hindustan is a divided subcontinent - that is, India is culinary divided in North and South. The South is more vegetarian, here rules the chili and rice is the staple grain. The North lures with delicious breads, dairy products, the tandoor and my beloved lentils.

Last week, our customer made me work on India's Republic Day. However, I was rewarded by being brought to the Restaurant KAMAT* for lunch. The lunch menu was simply North or South. Someone had decided that I prefer North.



The plate on the left is South Indian, the one on the right North Indian. Although I'm from the West, I took an Eastern point of view to take the picture. Call me culturally competent around the compass rose.

* KAMAT Nandanvan, CSD Building, HMT, Jalahalli, Bangalore - 560 013.

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Hello Culturally Competent Around the Compass Rose. Blimey, that's a mouthful. You can call me anytime!


ps. I love Indian, you lucky boy!

Toño said...

Those dishes seem to be delicious! I love lentils too and in general I love indian food, due to certain similarities with the mexican food, which has lots of vegetarian dishes too, but no one talks about it.

Ryan said...

looks good 2 me!

Unknown said...

that looks tastey. I had a fav indian food place in West Seattle that had food like that.. Oh I miss that right now! Yum!