Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Fine Food Brother

It's hard to bury the hatchet, but I might have to change my views on Swiss supermarket chain Coop and their Fine Food product group (read about digging up the hatchet).

How could events evolve that far? Everything has started at my clan's residence:



Here lives my brother, who happens to be a farmer. Besides of producing milk, he grows all kind of crops, such as apples, tobacco, sugar beets, wheat, corn, potatoes, and gherkins. Actually he is among the last four (4!) Swiss gherkin farmers. He was close to give up this labour intensive product, when last year Chirat, one of the two pickle producers in Switzerland, decided to use only foreign gherkins and the other factory could not make up his mind.

But imagine, an odious retailer like Coop comes as the white knight in shining armour and saves this old trade. Starting this summer, original Swiss gherkins will only be available as Fine Food Gherkins. I might have to alter my shopping and occasionally denigrating behaviour a tiny little bit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what I call good news!

Tigresa

Michael Lehet said...

I LOVE gherkins.

btw, that's a Fabulous House!

Toño said...

I've always liked the Coop Fine Food line.

I already spoke of this great new ot our marmite's chef editor and he thinks that this is as well very interesting for our magazine. Who knows may be that we publish a nice artikel about your brother's exclusive gherkins.

Unknown said...

All the better.... Very cool place there.

I'd have to say it's not smart thinking to export products, especially when everyone is supposed to be thinking "green" and reducing green house gases...

How ya supposed to do that if you don't buy local???