Friday, May 18, 2007

Sweet Fith Column

Switzerland's biggest retailer Migros is putting my love-hate relationship to them again on an acid test. They just don't want give up and, I have to admit, they've resorted to a quite cunning plan.

Their demigod founder Gottlieb Duttweiler prohibited the sale of tobacco and alcohol. Migros deceived this behest a long time ago by selling the condemned products via their subsidiaries. I've somehow learned to live with that.

However, Migros's infamy has reached a new climax. They sell now alcohol in their own store under their own brand, cunningly disguised as ice cream:



Marc de Champagne is a colourless brandy that is produced by distilling the grape skins, seeds and stalks, which are left from the pressing process in the first stages of Champagne production.

Marc de Champagne is delicious and so is the ice cream Migros made of it. But how am I supposed to enjoy such a blatant breach of basic ethics?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just come quietly to the dark side. Creep over to Coop. Coop has Jamie Oliver whoring himself and Tesco's Best Foods.....

You know you want to, nobody will think any less of you......

Toño said...

And I was starting to slowly, slowly love Migros and leave in my past Coop...

What am I suppose to do now..

Well perhaps I just have to take the best of both retailers and forget about ethics :(

Michael Lehet said...

Wait....booze flavored ice cream?

Could you send me some...if they ever tried to do that over here everyone would say "You're enticing children to drink because children eat ice cream"

Mr. Urs said...

Oh Michael, we also mix booze and chocolate. A shame that I don't like it.

Unknown said...

yummy! That looks so enticing! Way to go migros!