Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Michael Lives

On Sylv's request a brief review of Armistead Maupin's new book Michael Tolliver Lives, which I took on our trip to California



Was it page turner?
All books by Maupin were so far. It took me less than two weeks to read all six books of the Tales of the City series. Well, the book is quite thin and Maupin writes not that complex. It took about a couple of days to read it.

Was I laughing out loud?
No, I wasn't or I can't remember. However the characters were a lot and quite often during the many sex scenes.

Do I recommend it?
I'm not quite sure if this book was really necessary. Of course, it was nice to read what Michael is up to and how life had treated him over the last 20 years. But I think that was it. What I really like about Tales of the City are all these preposterous coincidences the characters were exposed to. I missed those. If you haven't read Tales of the City, then it's a definite No! There is no point in doing so. However, if you read them, you don't insist on preposterous coincidences and you don't mind people chuckling or doing worse while having sex you might give it a try.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU,gomad!!
This sounds definitely like something up MY street and as I still have a book-voucher from my birthday, I just went and ordered it :)

I've read the tales more than once and was hooked on the series as well and I thought that the series were quite well adapted after the books,which is not often the case.

Michael Lehet said...

When there's a "series" of books in a story, I like to read them all at once. I read the 6-book series of "Tales" a few years back and all I can say is the first 3 were great, the last 2 were ok and by the time I got to the last one I was glad that it was over.

I no longer liked, nor cared about the characters, and I felt that Mr. Maupin had written the book in such a way that people would not insist on another installment.

I want to read this, but I doubt I'll read it because the last in the series turned me off from it and I really don't care what happened to Mouse....isn't that sad?