Friday, December 28, 2007

Sauerkraut

marmite* is a Swiss magazine devoted to the culture of dining. It runs great features and the cocking technique column by Patrick Zbinden is a must read. marmite also publishes recipes, but they have to be handled with special care. They are aimed at the pretentious sophisticated chef, who knows all the techniques and who got the hang of them.

Our first recipe, we tried on August 01, 2006. We were three men in the kitchen and we almost attacked each other with steak knives. Let's say, the recipe left some room for interpretation.

Today, we tried it again. This time, the challenge was to get all the ingredients and to get it done within the time limit. The time had to be obeyed, because there were oven sections involved. The atmosphere was again a bit tense.

I've decided to go for a Quiche with Sauerkraut, Salmon and Sweet Onions. Sauerkraut usually accompanies Eisbein and sausages. It was the unusual combination with salmon and sweet & sour that caught my interest.



Despite the troubles, it turned out pretty well. We even had got the required fennel and cardamom seeds (thanks to a Christmas present by Tina & Thomas). It was also not to bad that I deviated from the recipe by replacing the butter phyllo dough with short pastry (Toño gets heartburn from phyllo). And it also did no harm that I replaced the Nolly Prat with spicy rum.

Marmite recommends a strong, barrel-fermented Chardonnay from South America or California or a Sauvignon from New Zealand. I had to give it a miss. I had to drive in the afternoon - to fetch some Argentinian wine.

* marmite's homepage is currently off-line.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit this is something I probably wouldn't try to cook at first,Suurchabis equals Bernese Platter for me ( I AM a Bernese lass after all:) )
But the pic looks really tempting.
Could you still taste the fish? Did you have to rinse the Suurchabis?
What you mention towards the end of this post about deviating from original recipes,thats what I do all the time,I am a little rebel me:):):)

Unknown said...

Looks very yummy to me.

Mr. Urs said...

Sylv: the bottem is pre-cooked. So that the filling had to stay in the oven for just 10 minutes, which is just right for the salmon. The sauerkraut had just to be squeezed and chopped. The onions were caramelized with brown sugar and deglazed with aceto balsamico. The sour creem is seasoned with grounded fennel and cardamom seeds and the Nolly Prat.

Anonymous said...

Thanks gomad,i will defo try to copy this one soon!!