Wednesday, February 13, 2008

KLM - Interim Review

I have to fly on short notice to Vancouver. So short, that only KLM could guarantee a round trip without waiting list.

If I recall correctly, I've been flying KLM only on two trips so far. The first was in Summer 1998, when I flew to Kazakhstan. The pilot warned us before the landing that it will be rough: I usually don't land that bad, but this tarmac does give me little chance..

Me, riding an ibex in Kazachien

The second one was to Scotland in late November 2001. We thought that it will rain anyway in Scotland. So going in November could not do any harm. Who were we to know that the tourist infrastructure is closed in November. It was even difficult to find a bed & breakfast. However, I have no memories regarding the flight with KLM.

This time, I'm flying the first time business class with KLM. Let's review my experiences on the first leg.

I'm sitting in the KLM lounge at Schipol Airport. Wireless internet access in the lounge costs big Euro which is a big minus for my KLM experience. Even worse that my virus alert keeps popping up reporting worm attacks.

The other big minus is that on the KLM Cityhopper, three business class passengers were squeezed into a triple coach row. One of which was me.

However, the meal served was a big fat plus. It consisted of a delicious cheese quiche with parmesan cream and assorted fresh fruits in a raspberry coulis. Everything was served in a handy and stylish bento box.

The service was charming, attentive and flawless. A stewardess and the pilot were even unloading the luggage when the ground crew failed to show up. I reckon that was far from their job description. Hoist the skirt, step into the mud and do the right thing. I like that attitude.

Let's see in due course how KLM performs on long haul.

3 comments:

Ms Mac said...

My Mum once flew to Sydney from Edinburgh on KLM. She had nothing but good things to say about it. It was 1991 though, so......

Anonymous said...

How long are you away?

Tigresa

mr. mac said...

If it wasn't for this damn project report, I would probably have been squeezed in next to you.

Good luck with the visit.