Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Constitution of an Ox

... is what I wish you for the third Advent Sunday.



We have this Nativity scene, like it is a good tradition in Switzerland as well in Mexico. We kind of made a compromise. Ours is not as flamboyant as in the ones in Mexico (I'm a fun-fearing Protestant). But as in the Mexican tradition, Baby Jesus does not appear in the manger before Christmas Eve (my clan never paid such close attention to the script).

A tradition however, we took over from my childhood, is that every year, a new sculpture is added. Last year, we got the donkey. So this year, I sent Toño to get us a cow. Obviously, I had had a window seat at Sunday school. I did not know that it was not a cow but an ox. "the ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib; but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider" (Is. 1:3).

Toño called me after he had left the first shop to tell me that they only had oxen and no cows. We grudgingly had to yield to the pressure of the Book of Isaiah, and Toño brought home one of those poor bovine.

Both Toño and I somehow feel uneasy in the presence of gelded animals. This is the main reason why we don't have a cat. We would never let a knife close to the cojones of our tomcat, and supposedly this is what you have to do, if you want to keep a cat in an apartment. Maybe this innocent ox breaks the ice.

2 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

LOL - Zebby-cat came up and whacked me in the back while I was reading this post. I wasn't the one that had him neutered! He was like that when we adopted each other.

Mind you, I'm the opposite to you. I wouldn't have a cat that hadn't been neutered.

Stay safe, you'll be home again soon. Huggles and care, Mickle and Zebby the eunuch.

Unknown said...

I love your beautiful scene! This reminds me of my march visit and all of the hand made animals I saw. I love stuff like this..

And cats... Well I just don't trust them, they always have tricks up their sleeve somehow.