Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Baby Is Back

When I turned 30 I gave myself a present in form of a wristwatch. I went for an IWC Mark XII, which costed the equivalent of my then monthly salary. Nevertheless, it was one of the purchases I never regretted.



A couple of months ago, I brought my watch for a complete maintenance and service, covering an overhaul including a new wristband to the watchmaker. You have to do this with mechanical watches from time to time. However, I did not expect to wait 2 months to get it back. They had some redundancies, was the excuse I heard from my neighbour who works at the place, things are a bit out of order. The luxury industry is not what it once was. It's time that the tide changes.

However Toño had to make a remark only a family oriented Latino can think of. Obviously the service on my precious watch was as expensive as the watch I gave my mother to her last birthday. He kind of questioned my priorities.

2 comments:

Deadwing said...

tis a beauty of a watch. i haven't been able to bring myself to spend more than a few hundred dollars on a watch. i am just too hard on my time pieces i'm afraid.

Mr. Urs said...

@Deadwing: The watchmaker IWC was founded in 1868 by an American. Switzerland was then a low wage country. His intention was to produce watches for the American market.