Wednesday, May 26, 2010

There Is No Meat In This Hamburger

I'm far from in the flow, especially work-wise. I mean I'm not at all in the state where I'm fully immersed and focused on my tasks and projects.

We are facing another reorganisation. It's the forth affecting me directly in 4½ years (if I counted correctly). Each had as the side-effect that it got more difficult for me to perform my tasks - that is, the organisation got more complex, I had more interfaces to deal with and landed between more millstones. Yes, if you can do it more complex, my caring employer does it.

Rumours had been floating around for a while. Finally last week I've been informed officially that there is another round due in a month. Our team will be dispersed to four different departments. We are still supposed to work together in the project but four more line managers will have the chance to play silly games with us. In our organisation, line managers are far more powerful than project managers. In addition, the processes will be more complex, more people will be involved, which increases costs and decreases productivity. A certain portion of my salary is profit and performance based, thus this reorganisation will have direct negative consequences on my salary.

In this mess, I'm offered a position with an impressive and flashy title, however, I do not see that this position comes with the competences needed to do the job, or in other words, there is no meat in this hamburger.

There are nice projects on the horizon, but right now it's just digging at the coal face. Is it time for a transition?

3 comments:

MartininBroda said...

Einen Teil deiner Miff-Maff-Muff-Stimmung kann ich inzwischen verstehen. Du scheinst dich wirklich nach Veränderung zu sehnen.

Unknown said...

Sounds like what I've been going through for the past 1.5 years now over here...

Hope it doesn't re-route you more than it is needed to do...

Change is okay, but too much at once I agree is BAD!

Waiting For John said...

Quit your job... there's no future in labour. X